Salary up to £25k plus bonus
Set at the heart of the Herefordshire countryside and on our fifteen hundred-acre family estate, Crumplebury is surrounded by splendid woodland, luscious green fields and the happy animals on our organic, home farm. At Crumplebury, we are passionate about food. Our menus champion seasonality and celebrate all that we grow on the farm, in the woods and in our walled kitchen-garden. We curate bespoke events and delight in the extraordinary. We pair the warmth of a family service with a deep care for culinary excellence and believe that magic can be created when each element of sharing a meal with your favourites is just right.
We are at the beginning of this chapter but surrounded and inspired by a great history. Crumplebury was the name of Whitbourne Estate’s old pig farm. The 18th century red brick build remains at the centre of what is now a reimagined events space that can host up to 200 people. Exquisite and modern in design and home to our fine-dining restaurant – Green Cow Kitchens, 11 delightfully spoiling bedrooms, Longfield Cottage and an abundance of interesting outdoor space. Crumplebury is a breath of fresh air.
We are seeking a Sous Chef or Senior Sous Chef to join our kitchen. As a member of our culinary herd, you must share our love for food, feel inspired by the seasons and passionately celebrate the bounty of the land. You will work closely with Farmer Tim and Head Gardener Mark to understand what produce is ready and available and curate unique and authentic eating experiences. You will care deeply about the guest experience and be guided by this focus. The kitchen is the engine room of our business. We are looking for hard-working, ambitious and passionate cooks who strive to create amazing food with stunning produce.
• fully engage in the estate, our ethos and our values
• be guided by the customer experience
• deliver exceptional food – this will vary in form and location but must be of a consistently high standard
• assist the Head Chef to ensure the kitchen runs smoothly
• help bring new and exciting dining experiences to the market for our loyal following, working from conception to delivery
• be flexible and willing to work a full spectrum of shifts in accordance with business needs
• foster a strong relationship and clear communication channels with Front of House
• ensure exceptional standards of cleanliness and presentation
• operate standard kitchen equipment safely and efficiently and adhere to all food hygiene and health and safety standards
• work with the Head Chef to manage GPM and stock management and undertake stock takes as directed
Skills and Experience:
• share our passion for sustainable and local produce
• consistently lead by example, as a hardworking, positive and passionate team member
• have an excellent eye for detail
• be a confident communicator
• have previous experience as a Sous Chef in a busy, fine dining environment
• have a strong understanding of health and safety and hygiene procedures
• be self-motivated and creative
• show enthusiasm to learn and progress
• plan your work efficiently and work productively, keeping to time
• enjoy management and take pride in growing the skills and confidence of your herd
• be energetic and willing to work split shifts and weekends
This is a role that will grow rapidly and the opportunity for advancement in terms of responsibilities as well as salary is significant. The starting salary will depend on experience. A bonus scheme will be offered as part of the remuneration package and will be based on personal and overall business performance. Please note that due to the current lockdown we cannot give an exact start date. This will be dependent on when the restaurant re-opens. Interviews will be taking place in March 2021. We’re at the beginning of our journey and continue to grow our wonderfully talented herd. If you are driven, you care deeply about food and curating unique and memorable customer experiences, you love to nurture and be part of a close team, together we can create something truly special. We look forward to hearing from you.
Tell us your story…